"Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from Him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them." Psalm 127:3-5

Monday, June 25, 2018

Introducing Jadon



Jadon is our firstborn, the one who made us a momma and daddy for the first time twelve years ago.  His name tells of where his story begins—Jadon comes from a Hebrew word meaning “God has heard”, and is mentioned in the Bible as one who helped Nehemiah rebuild the wall of Jerusalem. (Nehemiah 3:7)  Our Jadon was born after an early struggle with infertility and miscarriage.  When we found out that we were expecting him, we knew that God had heard our prayers for a child, and had granted us our first little arrow.  Just as the Jadon who helped repair the broken wall of Jerusalem, our Jadon has been hard at work repairing things since the very day he was born.  



Hours after his birth, I began dangerously hemorrhaging as I was being moved from the labor and delivery room, into a postpartum room.  I can remember being wheeled down the hallway, beginning to lose consciousness, and desperately asking God to save my life so that I could live to be Jadon’s momma.  In the postpartum room, I was still drifting in and out of consciousness, as the doctors pumped me full of blood transfusions and violently compressed my abdomen to stop the bleeding.  I was slipping away quickly.  I can remember watching all of the commotion around the room, and not being able to do anything to stop it.  I heard a nurse instruct David on how to feed Jadon a bottle of formula, because he needed nourishment fast and I couldn’t nurse him.  I can remember hearing that my mother and her husband had been called back to the hospital because things didn’t look good.  I can remember the nurses trying to talk to me, but I couldn’t answer.  And then I remember a nurse bringing Jadon, all wrapped up in his little swaddle, and laying him next to my face.  When I felt his little cheek against mine, a tear fell from my left eye, and I came back.  God used Jadon, my tiny baby boy, to repair the broken walls inside my body that needed to stop hemorrhaging.  

From that day on, the wheels inside Jadon’s mind have never stopped turning.  He is constantly devising ways to fix things that are broken (and quite often it’s things that need to be repaired because he broke them to begin with! 😊), make things out of whatever material is available to him at that moment (like duct tape and cardboard), and create new ways of doing things (even when that perfectly good wheel doesn’t need to be reinvented).  He is a leader and an innovator.  He takes charge to get the job done.  He is intelligent and creative.  He is sensitive to his surroundings, and a mirror of all that is going on around him.  Whenever something is off with Jadon, it’s our first red flag that we need to look at our own behaviors and attitudes, and at our own spiritual environment.  So often he is simply mirroring what is going on around him.

Two of his recent building projects have been a picnic table large enough to accommodate our growing family, and a wooden hammock stand for his dad for Father’s Day.






As much and he loves building and creating, Jadon’s greatest passion right now is fishing.  I have always wondered how guys end up being avid fishermen, spending every spare moment on a boat with their fishing rods.  It just never made sense to me for some reason.  But now I get it.  The patient pursuit, the hard-fought catch, the prize for all your efforts.  He loves it.  His favorite place to be is down by our pond, devising ways catch the fish, researching baits and rods and reels and fishing techniques.  He has recently started tying flies, and has created some beautiful fly fishing flies.


     
Our greatest prayer for Jadon is that God would shape his character into a selfless leader, a humble creator, a modest innovator—so that he may use his strengths with the understanding that he is a helper to our Heavenly Leader, the Creator of Heaven and Earth, the Innovator of all that exists.  That he would grow to be a strong man of God, with a humble heart to lead others in the way of the Lord, a fisherman of men, a builder for the new Jerusalem.

With much love,
Ashley 

No comments:

Post a Comment